OK, I’m going to go out on a limb and really trust you guys here. I am about to show you the worst pair of earrings I ever made. They are so very bad, I could not bring myself to take a picture of both of them together — it was simply too much ugliness for one post. Feel free to cover your eyes: I don’t know what was worse, the off center holes on the bottom or the overall size of these gigundous earrings.
I have stared at these earrings since I started this challenge. I truly did not know what to do with these lovelies. The only thing I liked was the fiddlehead fern design. I definitely could not simply takes these apart and add new dangles and better wirewrapping – they were beyond such simple solutions. Instead, I got out my Sharpie and my Kew saw and went to work.
If nothing else, this is an excellent lesson in why artists who work with metal clay need to also take a few good metalsmithing classes.
An hour later, after attacking these pieces with my saw, my metal file, sandpaper, and a drill press,
I ended up with two new pairs of earrings, some metal scrap for future use, and a few nicely balled up pieces of fine silver I can also use later.
It’s good to know there is hope for the “uglies” on my bench.
Here’s a pic of one of the pairs – I think they were a success.